Materials science is having an impact in everyday life, as evidenced by the energy sector where nanomaterials are already playing a major role that could shape the future of the sector in years to come.
How will nanomaterials impact and shape critical areas in the energy sector?
Cerion’s Global Trends in Nanomaterials series focuses on key areas where materials sciences – particularly nanotechnology – are having a big impact on the development and innovation of other industry sectors. In our first segment, we looked at the impact of nanomaterials in human health while the second segment focused on nanomaterials in future cities.
In our third segment, Cerion Nanomaterials CEO, Landon Mertz, and chemistry and nanotechnology subject matter expert, Liam Critchley, discuss energy as a major area of global focus and perhaps one of the most critical areas of modern-day society.
When people talk about nanotechnology and energy, the first reaction tends to gravitate towards batteries. While batteries are a key commercial area for nanomaterials, the role of nanotechnology in the energy sector is much further reaching than batteries and extends to a range of other energy storage devices as well as energy production, fuel and emission improvements, and energy distribution to name a few. For this discussion, the experts focus on key macro areas where nanotechnology is having an impact.
- Energy Sources
- What impact has nanomaterials had on our ability to create and harness energy from different sources?
- Is the integration of nanomaterials helping to improve the carbon footprint of the energy sector?
- What can we envisage going forward for the future of nanomaterials here?
- Energy Conversion
- How are nanomaterials being used for energy conversion?
- What are the benefits and future prospects for nanomaterials in the energy conversion space?
- Energy Distribution
- What has nanomaterials brought to energy distribution so far?
- What impact could we see nanotechnology having on energy distribution in the future?
- Energy Storage
- In addition to batteries, what other developments exist in the energy space that involve nanomaterials?
- Energy Usage
- What are the key areas that nanomaterials are involved in energy usage?
About the Global Trends in Nanomaterials Series
The Global Trends video series features conversations with Cerion Nanomaterials CEO, Landon Mertz, and Chemistry and Nanotechnology Subject Matter Expert, Liam Critchley as they discuss key areas where materials science is impacting development and innovation on a global scale.
About 10 years ago, the Royal Society of Chemistry published a relatively comprehensive document called the “Roadmap for the Future” that highlighted the tremendous population pressures society will experience over the next 50 years. And this will have a variety of impacts on our daily lives – everything from the food supply, health, water and air, and the environments we live in.
The assessment and report findings have remained spot on over the past decade, and it is evident that the report’s conclusion that nanomaterials, and broadly materials science, will play a key role in addressing these challenges. This video series discusses these topics through the present-day lens and the continued and increased role of nanomaterials in society.