The Ceramic Laboratory Technician position involves wet chemical synthesis of precursor powders as well as operating/maintaining a variety of ceramic processing equipment including box, tube, and graphite furnaces, mills, and presses. Additional responsibilities include developing SOPs, inputting/analyzing data, suggesting process improvements, troubleshooting, designing experimental plans and reading papers for specific tasks. The Laboratory Technician will work closely with a Senior Scientist in the Ceramics department to help attain project goals/deliverables within project timelines. The position will include some interaction with customers and vendors.
The ideal candidate has worked with ceramic processing equipment such as furnaces, mills, and presses and has in-depth knowledge of ceramic processing techniques including wet chemical synthesis methods. They will have excellent communication skills, work independently with minimum guidance, and work well within and across teams. There is potential for growth into a Research Assistant position as more advanced projects are undertaken.
The role will be based in Rochester, NY, and will report directly to the Senior Scientist in the Ceramics department.
- Set up and conduct chemical laboratory processes including wet chemical synthesis, drying, grinding, milling, sieving, setting up furnace runs and preparing samples for in-process and analytical testing
- Practice safe chemical handling and operation of bench scale reactors, scale-up equipment, and furnaces
- Loading and unloading furnaces
- Maintaining clean lab space and equipment
- Operating and maintaining all lab equipment
- Ordering replacement parts and performing basic repairs.
- Utilize trouble-shooting skills and initiate follow-up and corrective actions as necessary
- Keep accurate records for projects
- Participate in, and complete, company-required safety and training programs
- Adhere to Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP), properly wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), and follow all safety and company policies
- Work well individually and on teams
- Work collaboratively with the ceramics team, scale up team, QA/QC, and R&D
- Proficient in MS Office applications, especially Excel
Ideal Candidate Profile:
- Extensive hands-on experience with furnaces, mills, and wet chemical synthesis
- Experience with designing experiments, improving processes in the ceramics industry
- Understanding of basic ceramic processing techniques
- Self-starter with proven problem-solving skills
- Organized and attention-to-detail approach
- Collaborative (works well with peers across many functions within a company)
- Minimum BS in ceramic engineering, material science, chemical engineering, or similar degree
- 4 to 6 years of practical work experience in a lab environment
Compensation & Benefits:
- Market-based compensation
- Comprehensive medical, vision and dental benefits with a high portion of plan premiums and deductibles paid by the company
- Generous paid time-off benefits
Candidate Review, Selection and Hiring Process:
At Cerion Nanomaterials, we believe in a fully transparent hiring process, and work to quickly locate and hire talent based on business needs. The anticipated hiring process for this position is as follows:
- Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the following subject line: “HR*: Ceramic Laboratory Technician.”
- This job posting will be provisionally held open for up to 30 days, though it may be extended or shortened, depending on the quantity and quality of respondents. You may check the status of a job posting at any time by visiting cerionnano.com/jobs/.
- Each candidate application is thoroughly reviewed. All applicants will receive a response informing them if their application has been withdrawn from consideration or is proceeding to the next stage of review. Due to the volume of applications, we receive for each job posting, we are unable to provide specific feedback on individual resumes or our evaluation of them.
About Cerion Nanomaterials
Cerion is a leader in the science of designing, scaling and manufacturing metal, metal oxide and ceramic nanomaterials for companies developing products or systems.
The cost of developing in-house advanced expertise in nanomaterials is prohibitively expensive and time intensive, resulting in a significant barrier to entry for companies considering its adoption. Cerion provides companies with access to this expertise through all phases of their product lifecycle including applied research, development, scale-up, commercialization and manufacturing. This allows companies to remain focused on what they do best – advancing the development and delivery of their product, while Cerion stays focused on providing the custom designed nanomaterials necessary to create new product performance, get to market quickly and cost-effectively.
Cerion’s position in the market is enabled by three strategic competitive advantages: deep and demonstrated capability in a) precision design and customization of both nanoparticle size and technical attributes, b) robust processes to scale materials from prototype to low and high-volume production rates, and c) industry-leading, cost-effective manufacturing systems and production capacities.
Equal Opportunity Employment
At Cerion Nanomaterials, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Cerion Nanomaterials believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.