Chemical Engineer III
Position ID: E200715
Position Status: Open
Posting Closes: 08/15/20
Location: Rochester, NY
Job Type: Full Time
Experience: Experienced Professional
US Citizenship Required for this Position: Yes
Relocation Assistance: Depending on candidate
Travel Requirements: No significant travel
The Chemical Engineer III is responsible for working under the direction of the engineering program manager to create equipment, functional, and operational designs of chemical process systems to be built and installed at Cerion locations in support of expanded or new manufacturing operations. On each project, the Chemical Engineer is tasked with creating multiple alternative designs of process sub-systems (chemical reactors, delivery systems, safety, material handling, etc.) which aim to meet the established capability, capacity, and cost requirements for the project. The output of this work will be incorporated into the overall design architecture of the entire capital project to create an optimal chemical operation.
The ideal candidate is an accomplished Engineer with a strong bias for hands-on detailed engineering and requirements-driven design decisions. A key attribute is the ability to combine knowledge of chemical product-process design, specific equipment capability/limitations, and real-world capital installation experience to create process flow and equipment designs which meet project requirements in a realistic, cost-effective manner.
This role will be based in Rochester, NY, and will report directly to the Executive Vice President of Commercialization, Development, Quality, and Manufacturing. This role will additionally require close collaboration with three (3) leaders of Cerion’s technical teams who are focused on capital program activities in Development, Quality Control, and Manufacturing.
- Use project functional requirements to design and develop new chemical process systems in an industrial chemical environment across Pilot and Manufacturing scales.
- Design specific, detailed chemical process sub-systems such as material prep and delivery systems, synthesis reactors, tank mixing, filtration, separation, dispensing/packaging, CIP cleaning, etc.
- Perform basic engineering investigations, calculations, process designs, equipment searches/specifications, etc., to create process flow diagrams, process instrumentation diagrams, specific hardware selections, and process capability assessments.
- Work independently on detailed sub-system designs and evaluations under the direct supervision of overall program leader providing strategic and technical guidance.
- Work collaboratively across three different technical groups to share progress, ideas, and assessments of various alternate designs.
- Perform basic cost/benefit/performance trade-off analyses among various candidate system designs to achieve the most cost-efficient design.
- Assess shop-floor and construction implications (operations, maintenance, utilities, lean workflow) when developing and designing hardware systems.
- Implement electrical/instrumentation designs of in-process data collection, feedback control loops, and automation where appropriate.
- Clearly organize and present process designs and test results data which justify the design methodologies used and how design proposals meet the project requirements.
- Perform some hands-on work for assembling prototype equipment, developing and executing fit-out testing and debug, and performing process accreditations of prototype and final full-scale installed hardware systems on the shop floor.
- Must be proficient in MS Office applications, especially Excel.
Ideal Candidate Possesses:
- Demonstrated experience in delivering engineering designs and solutions which meet specific project requirements in a timely and cost-effective manner
- Background in design and installation of chemical process equipment in real-world shop floor manufacturing environments
- A ‘test quickly, fail quickly, fix quickly’ approach, recognizing this is required to make ambitious progress in a dynamic field where innovation and speed are necessary
- Engineering fundamentals (highly analytical & methodical)
- Complex problem-solving skills (explores all options, then converges)
- Organized and attention-to-detail approach (strong tactical execution)
- Collaborative mindset (works well with peers across many functions within a company)
- Minimum Bachelor of Science in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering.
- 5 to 10 years of practical work experience as an Engineer in the chemical industry.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Market-based compensation
- Long-term equity incentives
- Comprehensive medical, vision and dental benefits with 100% of plan premiums and deductibles paid by the company
- Generous paid time-off benefits
Candidate Review, Selection and Hiring Process:
At Cerion Nanomaterials, we believe in a fully transparent hiring process, and work to quickly locate and hire talent based on business needs. The anticipated hiring process for this position is as follows:
- Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject line: “E200715 Chemical Engineer III.” Please ensure that you whitelist this email address and the domain “cerionnano.com” so our email communications with you are not sent to your spam folder.
- This job posting will be provisionally held open for up to 30 days, though it may be extended or shortened, depending on the quantity and quality of respondents. You may check the current status of a job posting at any time by visiting https://cerionnano.com/careers/
- Each candidate application is thoroughly reviewed. All applicants will receive a response informing them if their application has been withdrawn from consideration or is proceeding to the next stage of review. Due to the volume of applications we receive for each job posting, we are unable to provide specific feedback on individual resumes or our evaluation of them.
- We strive to respect your time and hire the best talent on the quickest timeline possible. Select candidates should expect a series of phone interviews, with final candidates selected for in-person meetings at Cerion Nanomaterial’s headquarters in Rochester, NY. When applicable, all reasonable airfare and hotel accommodation is paid for by the company.
About Cerion Nanomaterials:
Cerion is a leader in the science of designing, scaling and manufacturing metal, metal oxide and ceramic nanomaterials for companies developing products or systems.
The cost of developing in-house advanced expertise in nanomaterials is prohibitively expensive and time intensive, resulting in a significant barrier to entry for companies considering its adoption. Cerion provides companies with access to this expertise through all phases of their product lifecycle including applied research, development, scale-up, commercialization and manufacturing. This allows companies to remain focused on what they do best – advancing the development and delivery of their product, while Cerion stays focused on providing the custom designed nanomaterials necessary to create new product performance, get to market quickly and cost-effectively.
Cerion’s position in the market is enabled by three strategic competitive advantages: deep and demonstrated capability in a) precision design and customization of both nanoparticle size and technical attributes, b) robust processes to scale materials from prototype to low and high-volume production rates, and c) industry-leading, cost-effective manufacturing systems and production capacities.
Equal Opportunity Employment:
At Cerion Nanomaterials, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Cerion Nanomaterials believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.